I find the media’s obsession with these non-stories especially galling when they lead to endless agonizing over the welfare of a child — agonizing that is sorely missing when there isn’t a hot air balloon or inner tube in shark-infested waters involved.
So now that we know that Falcon is safe, how about repurposing some of that concern for, say:
— the over 1.5 million children who are homeless.
— the 42 percent of homeless children who are under the age of 6.
— the one in six homeless children who suffers from an emotional problem.
It doesn’t have to be wall-to-wall coverage, but how about some coverage of the 75 to 100 percent increase in the number of children who are newly homeless because of the foreclosure crisis? Or the 13 million American children living in poverty?
Sign up for my contact list!Get updates from me about events and other information that doesn't make the blog. I promise not to spam, and you can unsubscribe at any time:
Contact list signup form >>>
- RT @calparks: Spending time outside is good for your health and we have the science to prove it. Read more about how nature can improve blo… 20 hours ago
- Don’t bother me. I’m working! @calparks @CAStateParks #silverstrandstatebeach @hollyemartinez https://t.co/VK0n8Op7M3 20 hours ago
- So grateful for @CAStateParks and this year’s #superbloom at Anza-Borrego Desert State Park @calparks https://t.co/kDJOKiqu5w 1 day ago
- @calparks @AnzaBorregoPark @Anza_Borrego @CAStateParks It was incredible! 1 day ago
- Hah! @DevinCow has more followers than that Congressman with the same name! 2 days ago
Share this site!